Hi again, Biddy!
We usually celebrate the equinoxes and solstices with our friends Paul and Amy. We had them over last night to celebrate spring! George and I made a Julia Child recipe for fish mousse quenelles in tomato sauce, which we served with polenta and a cobb-esque salad on the side.
The idea of fish mousse quenelles didn't really appeal to me, but George was fired up. We picked up some dover sole and blended it with egg and spices. We then refrigerated the mousse until we were ready to poach it.
In the meantime, we slow-cooked polenta (I had never done this before - we put the pot into a skillet of simmering water so it wouldn't stick, but it would still cook. Thank you, Julia Child) for 45 minutes. Then, we set it outside to cool until we were ready to fry it.
We also assembled a simple tomato sauce of sauteed onions and garlic, canned tomatoes, and fresh and dried herbs.
Finally, I assembled a monster salad with hard-boiled eggs, bacon, blue cheese, steamed cauliflower I wanted to get rid of, hearts from steamed artichokes I wanted to get rid of, green onions, and radishes. I thought about serving it with ranch, but I decided that would be too rich. I chose a dijon-balsamic vinaigrette instead.
About 20 minutes before the meal, we started poaching the quenelles and frying the polenta. First, George sculpted the quenelles from the fish mousse:
Then we started cooking everything. Here's what our stove looked like:
| Quenelles poaching, tomato sauce simmering, and polenta frying. |
Finally, George made Scott and Edna's rhubarb tart again, and I remembered to take a picture! This time, George made individual tarts instead of one large one. This recipe is truly delicious!
George and Paul partied a little hard, so when I came into our living room I found Paul passed out on the couch! It was a beautiful morning, so we decided to invite Amy back over and we all had brunch on our deck. It was cool, but great to be eating outside again. It feels like summer is really on its way! I made bacon and eggs (I can't wait to show you my new egg poacher!!!!), and George made Scott & Edna's biscuits! His second time making them. This time, George made his own baking powder (I forget exactly how). They were awesome. Maybe the weather will be nice enough when you're here, that we can eat outside!
We are so excited for your arrival, Biddy!! This week is going to fly by!
I love you, Biddy!!
Claire!
OK so George has intrigued me again with his Rhubarb tarts. I will def get the recipe from you while I'm there. Mama will be excited to try them I bet. I want to know more about the quenelles. Texture is usually what turns me off of food so I bet if you thought the texture was weird then I will too. I love big huge salads with eggs on them. Hardboiled is my favorite way to eat eggs! And biscuits! I've seen Edna Lewis' recipe for making your own baking powder but I've never done it. Does George think it is worth it? Mama and I realized a few months ago that we were using baking powder that expired in 1998 (i think that's the right year..def some time in the 90s) which was obviously affecting our baking. Our biscuits get super puffy now that we have normal/non-expired baking powder!!
ReplyDeleteLTB