Saturday, August 27, 2011

And the Catching Up Begins!

Biddy!!

So much to catch up on. Some things I have pictures for, somethings I don't. I'll start with what I have made most recently.

Today I roasted 5 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts and 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. I roasted them at 400 for about 45 minutes. I coated them with olive oil and seasoned them with lemon juice, thyme, salt and pepper. Tonight I will pull the meat from the bones and freeze the meat in packages that are enough for me and Tyler for one meal. The bones, the skin and the pan juices I will use to make a broth of sorts tonight and I'll freeze that too. This definitely makes me feel like my mother but I am hopeful that it will make life easier on me. Lots of times when I get home if there isn't already a plan for the meal then I will just bail and say "let's go out". So having the meat already done will enable me to use it in a variety of dishes and make my life easier.

Yesterday I did a boston butt for the same reason. I used a 5 pound boneless boston butt. Now George, if you are reading this, I know it isn't real BBQ. Tyler has already given me that lecture. But....it is good, tender pork. And yes to make things worse, I pulled off a lot of the excess fat before baking it. Again, Tyler has told me that is where the pork would have gotten its flavor and moisture. Anyways, so a 5 pound boneless boston butt. Cut it into smaller pieces (not bite size, just smaller chunks. I used 3 garlic cloves, some lime zest, salt and pepper on the outside. I coated all sides of the pork with that. Bake at 450 until the top part of the pork is brown. Flip it over and bake until that side is also brown. Reduce the heat to 325 and tightly cover the roasting pan with tin foil. Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 45 minutes until the pork is nicely tender and falls apart when pricked with a fork. Let it cool and then shred it. SO DELICIOUS!!! It definitely does not have a smoke flavor or anything like that but it gets really tender. We had pulled pork sandwiches last night and they were amazing. I would use a bigger boston butt next time because after I cut off a ton of fat there wasn't a lot left in the 5 pounds. So we had it last night and Tyler has some for lunch this week. We will use some for pork tacos later this week but we didn't really get a ton of meat.

Lots more to post but this is what I did yesterday and today. Tonight we are having egg rolls. I hope they work out! I'll let you know. More to come soon!

2 comments:

  1. I have no idea what I did that made the last line of that post become a link to the picture. so unclear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Biddy!!!!

    Holy *&^% I am so fired up we're doing this again! So happy about the Boston Butt recipe! I can't wait to share it with George. I totally feel you about cooking dinner on the weeknights. We are getting better about it (I will share my thoughts later...), but we're still not great. I love it that you're trying new things. Egg Rolls! So exciting!! I can't wait to dig through our food pictures, AND to keep you posted on exciting cooking we're up to these days. George is MUCH better about digging up new recipes and trying them. I'm more likely to get stuck in a rut and just make the same things time and time again. Anyway - we will post more tonight! Wooo hooo!

    Have a great Sunday! More from me later today!!

    Claire!!

    ReplyDelete