Sunday, September 4, 2011

Where to begin!?! Early spring Ox Tails!



Hi Biddy!!!


I am so happy to be blogging again! I've been keeping a folder of pictures of our eating adventures over the last six months. I'm not going to go into great detail for each of them (I'll save that for the real-time updates to come!), but I wanted to give you an idea of what we have been eating! Let me know if you want more details/ideas about what we did. George is much better about remembering that we have a food blog and that we should take pictures. Thanks to him, we have lots of pictures.


I was reading back through our old blog entries (Remember when you were still living at home!?! It seems like so long ago!!), and in one of them you mentioned a tomato soup cake! Did you ever make it? I'm intrigued!


We shall begin with an entry about a George Emerson staple: Ox Tails. They look scary. They are super cheap. They are delicious (mostly because of a high fat content, but anyway... delicious)! We use Scott & Edna's recipe which calls for baking them in pre-sauteed carrots, herbs, and tomatoes. This is a stick-to-your-ribs recipe. We were eating it in early spring when it was still cold!

Delicious!!

And nutritious!

As with most cooking in our kitchen, we start with lard!
Contemplating the task at hand!
First, you brown them! George's favorite kitchen implement is the tongs.

Now, they are resting while we (and I mean George), make the sauce.
Sauteeing the carrots and onions first.
Tomatoes are added!

It's ready for the oven! Of course, I'm always too hungry to remember to take a picture of the finished product. You'll have to use your imagination!
More soon, Biddy! 


Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment